As the movement of creating more open dialogue around living with eczema grows, more and more events and opportunities are flourishing to help spread the word too.
My top 5 choices of places/events/conferences/camps/programs I would want to attend include:
- Eczema Expo: Created by the National Eczema Association, this event brings together patients, caregivers, medical professionals, and product makers all to talk and connect over eczema. Unfortunately there is no way I can make this year’s as it is right around my baby’s due date! They even give you an idea of what the trip is like here. It just seems like a Renaissance Faire for sufferers of eczema and I’d love to go next year (hopefully it’s in Maryland or Massachusetts next year though!).
- Camp Wonder: This is an amazing program run by the Children’s Skin Disease Foundation that allows children to experience camp despite their skin conditions. I would love to be a counselor one day!
- Avène Hydrotherapy Center: First of all, this center is in the south of France, which is a beautiful land I long to re-visit. The spring supposedly was discovered to have healing properties when a Marquis’ horse was cured of pruritus after a few swims. In time a hydrotherapy center and dermatological lab were built there, and so far, the testimonials of people getting treated there are beyond promising. Plus, like I said before, south of France. Be still my heart. Note: Avène also has US product lines now.
- Hannan-Chuo Hospital – A hospital in Japan thats dermatology department is run by Dr. Sato, who does a lot of research and treating of topical steroid withdrawal. You check in as a patient for a few months, and come out cured apparently. Unfortunately his blog is only in Japanese, but I’ll link it here for you multilingual individuals).
- The Dead Sea – I hear its mud/water has some amazing healing properties due to its salts. It seems like many companies have turned the mud/water into packable salts for medicinal cosmetic lines, for example making bath soaks and other products, but I would love to be able to go there one day and just roll around for myself in the sea.
Other random events and classes that would pique my interest if I came across them and make me want to up and travel would be:
- yoga retreats for skin sufferers
- skin herbal remedy classes
- book chats by writers with eczema
- eczema in the arts conventions
- eczema rehabs
Note: Some of the above links are affiliate links. This means that if you click on one and purchase an item, I will receive a small affiliate commission (at no cost to you).